Shrinkage can be a constant battle. While many naturals love the unique look of tight curls and coils, plus love the versatility that comes with shrinkage (it can be a blessing in disguise), it’s easy to become frustrated when your hair refuses to let you show off your length when you want to.
By now there must be hundreds of ways to stretch your hair, especially with heat styling , but what about stretching curls without the use of heat? While drying time takes far longer without the use of heat, it can sure pay off when it comes to maintaining length and healthy ends.
The airplaning method is yet another way to achieve longer, stretched natural hair without the use of heat. Be warned, this process is definitely time consuming — but if you have the patience and enthusiasm for trying new styles, then this might be for you.
Tools you will need:
1. Wash your hair using your favorite shampoo and conditioner.
2. Then, distribute a generous amount of your favorite daily moisturizer on your whole head of hair, working in sections, detangling for even distribution.
3. Once your hair is detangled, section off into manageable sections. Take a small section of hair at a time, twisting the section, and pulling it through the magnetic roller.
4. Take the loose hair at the end of the roller and roll that around a cold perm roller and set.
5. Let the hair air dry completely (this is where the patience kicks in).
6. Once the hair is dry, gently remove the rollers to avoid frizz, and separate the curls until you’ve reached the desired look and texture.
Dora Sobze is a PR associate, writer, and social media strategist by day — and freelance blogger by night. If you’re feeling crafty, hungry, stylish, or in need of natural hair tips, check out her blog latidoe.blogspot.com or spinachblog.com for her latest spinach recipes. Chat with her on twitter @la_ti_doe
Will you be trying this method to stretch your curls?