In today’s world of instant gratification, it is very easy to get stuck in a mundane, down, or even depressed mood when things don’t happen how we want them to happen, when we want it to happen. If we don’t have our espresso or morning tea just perfect, have to deal with morning traffic, or have a horrible day at work, we are likely to carry on that irritation throughout the day and sometimes even into the next day.
Sounds horrible, right?
Luckily, we as humans are able to adapt, adjust, and create new habits. Just because you threw a pity party today doesn’t mean tomorrow has to be miserable too. You can choose to wake up happy, and go to bed happy — every single day.
With these five tips, you can do just that:
1. Wake up and smile. It might sound silly but it works. Smiling sends messages to your brain telling you that you are happy. Even if you barely got any sleep, woke up with a killer headache, or simply are not ready for the task ahead of you, simply smile. Smile because you are alive and have another day to get it right. Smile even when you aren’t feeling the greatest, and allow the universe to open up at your feet with endless possibilities for the day. Don’t only smile, but smile in front of a mirror so you can see yourself smiling, I promise it will have you smiling much longer than you expected. You might start laughing at yourself which sends even more happiness-causing endorphins, which makes you happier!
2. Forgive yourself. Have you ever woken up with the guilt from something from the day, week, or year before? Having guilt weighing you down is no way to start the day. Sure, if you truly did something wrong such as hurting yourself or a person you love, or something that goes against your moral compass, guilt is bound to happen at some point. Despite the feeling of guilt being a natural occurrence, it is not something that is healthy to hold on to, or to wake up every morning feeling. In order for you to be able to move on from past situations, you must forgive yourself. You are human, you made a mistake, you feel bad about it. Work on moving on from the situation, and letting it go, as opposed to holding on to something in the past and allowing it to affect your present. Forgiveness is the first step to happiness.
See Also: 4 Simple Steps to Breaking Bad Habits
3. Drink water. Water is the best way to fuel your body in the morning. Drinking water throughout the day helps to alleviate day time fatigue, and keeps you energized. Not only is water a great way to keep you going throughout the day, drinking the right amount of water helps improve your skin, hair, nails and overall body health. Instead of reaching for your morning coffee, grab a jug of water. Adding lemon to water also helps detox your body, which is even better for your overall health and appearance.
4. Say a prayer. Thank the powers that be for your life. Even if you feel like crap, don’t feel like moving, and have kids jumping on your bed. Be thankful you are waking up from that bed. Everyone has things to be thankful for. In society we often get so wrapped around what we don’t have that we forget what we do have. It’s not just the material possessions you have that you should be thankful for but your health, the health of your family and those around you, your basic needs of food, shelter, and clothing being met, and the fact that you have people in this world who love you.
More: Starting a Gratitude Journal to Change Your Attitude and Perspective
5. Repeat after me, “I will have a great morning.” When you wake up cussing, with a bad attitude, or simply not speaking to any one, you are putting out the wrong message, to yourself and those around you. Wake up telling yourself that you will have a great day. Send that message to the world! Repeat it until you start to believe it, then repeat it until you begin to feel it. Even if something goes wrong, when you are already in a good mood, you are keen to not see the situation as the huge ordeal it might have been made out to be if you were already a sour puss. Speak good things only, and watch your day, month, year, and life change.
All of these steps are simple and with repetition they become easier and eventually part of your daily routine. Happiness is right around the corner. What will you do to wake up tomorrow morning happy?
Ashley Renee is a licensed esthetician, natural hair enthusiast, writer and poet from Chicago, follow her on Instagram @Ashleyreneepoet